At the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, we are committed to advocating for ways to foster a more sustainable lifestyle. Living a sustainable life does not mean going without luxuries, but understanding where goods are coming from, and reducing waste.
Leading a more sustainable lifestyle is also a step, no matter how small, in the right direction to creating a better environment. There are various ways you can start living a more conscientious and sustainable life, such as:
- Reducing household energy use: Turn off appliances and lights not in use; invest in energy-efficient appliances; invest in a programmable or smart thermostat that can lower and raise the temperature to save energy when you’re not home.
- Eat locally: Choose the local farmer’s market and locally owned grocery stores over big chains. You’ll know where the food came from, and less energy goes into the production of locally grown food.
- Plant seeds: This takes eating locally one step further. If you grow some of your own fruits, vegetables and herbs, you know exactly where it came from.
- Reduce your use of single-use products: No brainer— you’ll throw away less and less.
- Donate unwanted items that are gently used and in good condition.
- Forget disposable water bottles: Drink the tap water you pay for. Buy a filter system, find a reusable water bottle you like for on the go, and reduce your plastic use.
- Conserve water.
- Walk and bike more while driving less.
- Fair trade products: Investing in fair-trade products, from food to clothing, gives you peace of mind that they were made using sustainable methods, and are fairly priced.
Take the time to do a little homework. Living a sustainable life is easy with the right knowledge and tools. While it may take time to get used to, we think it’s worth it.