Given the very cold and snowy winter that many parts of our country endured, it’s hard to believe that today is officially the first day of spring…but it’s finally here! This season brings in warmer weather, blossoming plants, longer days, and is also known for “Spring Cleaning.” Don’t forget about your HVAC system as you start on your spring cleaning chores! Following the easy tips below will help your HVAC system smoothly transition into the new season.
- Schedule a maintenance check-up for your system sooner rather than later before they get too busy. It’s very important to ensure the refrigerant level is still correct in order for the unit to function properly!
- Test to see if your thermostat is still functioning properly: Set the thermostat at least 5 degrees lower than your normal setting during cooling season. Check that the AC comes on. If it doesn’t, it may be time to replace the thermostat.
- Check your furnace and air-conditioning filters frequently. Some filters last only a few months, depending on the filter.
- Ensure that your air conditioner’s drainage hole on the base of the cabinet is kept clear in order for the unit to function properly.
- Before you start using your dehumidifier, remove its housing and let the unit dry completely. Vacuum every accessible surface and crevice.
- Clean your bathroom fans once a year by removing the cover and cleaning dirt off the fan blades with a toothbrush in soapy water. Make sure the power is off when you do this!
- Remove all faucet handles and clean the insides to keep the screws from corroding.
- Check your home’s windows and doors annually. Proper insulation will help keep out heat and humidity in the summer and cold drafts in the winter—and save money on your utility bills all year.